There is no better combo than lemon-blueberry and that is a hill I will die on. These Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars only further prove this point. Sweet, tangy lemon-blueberry filling poured over a buttery crust and topped with crispy crumbles and lemon glaze. Perfection in every bite.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars Ingredients
This recipe has several elements but the majority of the ingredients needed are pantry staples so you shouldn’t have too difficult a time acquiring everything. Your grocery list is explained below.
- All Purpose Flour: All purpose flour is great for the crust as it provides both lightness and sturdiness.
- Powdered Sugar: I like to use powdered sugar in the bottom crust because it adds sweetness without making the dessert too heavy. It helps keep everything light and soft.
- Vegan Butter: Vegan butter will serve as our fat here which will bind the dough together. You will want it to be cold when you cut it into the other ingredients so that the melting takes place in the oven.
- Sea Salt: Salt is added here to provide flavor and texture. It also cuts through the sweetness to better keep things in balance.
- Lemon Zest: A small amount of lemon zest is added to the crust to further enhance the overall lemon flavor in the dessert without making it completely overpowering.
- Frozen Blueberries: I almost always prefer to use frozen berries when baking due to the cheaper cost. If you have fresh berries on hand those will work here just fine as well.
- Sugar: Only a small amount of granulated sugar is needed here to bring out the sweetness and flavor of the blueberries. No need to go overboard.
- Cornstarch: A small amount of cornstarch is needed here to help emulsify the ingredients as they bake. If omitted, your filling will grow a little too juicy and will appear runny in your final product.
- Lemon Juice/Zest: Lemon juice and zest are added here for flavor (obvi) and to help dissolve the sugar and cornstarch. This will help bring the ingredients together. Do not sub lemon juice from concentrate!
Crumble Topping Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour: All purpose flour is great in a crumbly topping as it provides great texture and crisps up nicely in the oven when paired with fat.
- Sugar: A small amount of sugar here contributes to sweetness and crunch.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder serves as the leavener in this recipe. Consequently, a small amount will puff up the topping slightly.
- Sea Salt: A pinch of sea salt is a good addition here to cut through the sweetness. In contrast, you can omit if you’d prefer.
- Lemon Zest: More lemon zest here because no amount is too much! Get the flavor in at every possible opportunity.
- Vegan Butter: Vegan butter is what will make the crumble topping crisp and satisfying. Truly the best vegan baking fat.
Tips for Making Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars
- I know this recipe has several elements but you shouldn’t try to make any of them in advance. Everything comes together quickly and there shouldn’t be too much cleanup.
- Re-use your bowls! After making the crust, dust out the bowl and use it to prepare the filling. Do the same after making the filling before getting to work on the crumble topping.
- If you’d like to prepare the bottom crust for these bars in a food processor you totally have that option. See recipe notes section for instructions.
- I know it’s optional, but please don’t skimp on the lemon glaze! It is an extra step but it does make a really nice addition both in appearance and taste.
How to Store Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars
These bars will keep in an airtight container stored at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 1 month if you’d like.
When it comes to serving, I would recommend indulging in this decadent treat in the morning with your coffee or tea. They also make an incredible dessert when served with a scoop of nondairy ice cream!Print
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Bars
Buttery, crumbly lemon blueberry bars drizzled in tangy lemon glaze. 100% vegan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Bake Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 2-inch Bars 1x
- Category: Brownies and Bars
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
For the Crust
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 c vegan butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
For the Filling
3 c frozen blueberries
1/4 c sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
For the Crumble Topping
1 c all purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 tsp lemon zest
1/3 c vegan butter
Lemon Glaze (optional)
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Make the Crust: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside. To make the crust, add all purpose flour, powdered sugar, vegan butter, sea salt and lemon zest to a large bowl. Work with a pastry cutter until the mixture is wet and slightly crumbly. Press crust into the bottom of prepared pan tightly. Set in the refrigerator while making the filling.
- Filling: To prepare the filling, add frozen blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest to a bowl. Fold ingredients together until you no longer see any dry ingredients. Remove pan from fridge and pour berry mixture evenly over the top. Return pan to fridge while you prepare the topping.
- Prepare Topping: To make the topping, add all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt and lemon zest to a large bowl. Whisk together. Cut in vegan butter using your pastry cutter and work ingredients together until mixture is fine and crumbly. This will take a few minutes.
- Bake and Glaze: Remove pan from fridge and sprinkle all of the crumble topping evenly over the berries. It may seem like a lot but this is correct! Place pan on center rack of preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow bars to cool completely before cutting and serving. If making the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled bars right before serving.
*Prepared bars will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month.
*The bottom crust can be made in a food processor if you prefer. Add in all of the crust ingredients and pulse until well-incorporated. I like this method because the crust comes into a ball of dough when made this way and is easier to press into the bottom of the pan.
Keywords: vegan dessert, vegan lemon blueberry dessert, blueberry dessert, lemon dessert, vegan bars, vegan crumble bars
If you make this recipe, please share it with @censoredbaker on Instagram!
More Vegan Dessert Bars
If you’re a fan of blueberry-lemon flavor, I recently tried this Vegan Blueberry Lemon Bread and it was amazing!