Clean, creamy, citrus and sparkling are the words that come to mind when I think of this Blood Orange Mocktail. Made with only 5 ingredients, this mocktail comes together quickly and easily. Perfect for singles and for groups. Let’s learn how to make it!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Blood Orange Mocktail Ingredients
- Blood Orange Juice (2 oz): Flavor and Vibrancy: The star ingredient, blood orange juice, adds a burst of citrusy, sweet, and slightly tangy flavors. Its deep red hue not only enhances the visual appeal but also infuses the mocktail with a distinct, vibrant taste.
- Lemon Juice (1/2 oz): Citrus Balance: Lemon juice serves to balance the sweetness of the blood orange, providing a zesty and bright acidity. This addition adds complexity to the flavor profile, making the mocktail more dynamic and refreshing.
- Plain Nondairy Yogurt (1 oz): Creamy Texture: Nondairy yogurt introduces a creamy and velvety texture to the mocktail, creating a smoother mouthfeel. This element adds a touch of richness without the use of dairy.
- Simple Syrup (1/2 oz): Sweetness Control: Simple syrup, a mixture of equal parts water and sugar, is used to sweeten the mocktail. It ensures that the beverage is not overly tart and balances the acidity from the citrus juices, providing a harmonious sweetness.
- Vanilla Bean Paste (1/2 tsp): Aromatic Complexity: Vanilla bean paste contributes a warm and aromatic undertone, complementing the fruity and citrusy notes. It adds depth to the mocktail, making it more sophisticated and engaging to the palate.
- Sparkling Water (to top): Effervescence and Refreshment: Sparkling water adds effervescence to the mocktail, creating a fizzy and refreshing quality. It lightens the drink, making it a more thirst-quenching and enjoyable beverage.
How to Make a Blood Orange Mocktail
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour blood orange juice, lemon juice, yogurt, simple syrup and vanilla bean paste into the shaker.
- Shake for 30 seconds. Pour contents into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Top with desired amount of sparkling water.
Tips for Making a Blood Orange Mocktail
- Choose Fresh and Ripe Blood Oranges: Opt for fresh and ripe blood oranges to ensure the best flavor. The juiciness and sweetness of the oranges will significantly impact the overall taste of the mocktail.
- Use High-Quality Ingredients: Select high-quality ingredients, including fresh citrus fruits, plain nondairy yogurt, and a good vanilla bean paste. Quality ingredients contribute to a more flavorful and enjoyable mocktail.
- Balance the Citrus: Adjust the ratio of blood orange juice to lemon juice based on personal preference. Balancing the citrus flavors is crucial to achieving the right level of sweetness and also tartness in the mocktail.
- Experiment with Sweetness Levels: Taste as you go when adding simple syrup. Start with a smaller amount and adjust according to your sweetness preference. Remember, you can always add more, but you can’t take it away.
- Top with Sparkling Water Just Before Serving: Add the sparkling water just before serving to maintain its effervescence. This ensures that the mocktail retains its fizzy and refreshing qualities.
- Use Fresh Ice: Serve the blood orange mocktail over fresh ice to keep it chilled without diluting the flavors. Using large ice cubes can also slow down the melting process.
- Garnish Creatively: Enhance the presentation by garnishing with blood orange slices, lemon twists, or a sprig of mint. The visual appeal adds to the overall enjoyment of the mocktail.
What are the Health Benefits of Blood Oranges?
Blood orange juice is not only delicious but also offers various health benefits due to its rich nutritional profile. Here are some of the health benefits:
- Rich in Vitamin C: Blood oranges are a great source of vitamin C, which is essential for immune system function, collagen formation, and antioxidant protection against free radicals.
- Antioxidant Properties: Blood oranges contain anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant responsible for their distinctive red color. To explain, antioxidants help neutralize free radicals, reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the body.
- Heart Health: The fiber, potassium, and flavonoids found in blood oranges may also contribute to heart health. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure, while flavonoids can support healthy blood vessels.
- Cancer Prevention: The antioxidants, including anthocyanins and vitamin C, found in blood oranges may have anti-cancer properties by neutralizing and preventing the formation of cancer-causing free radicals.
- Improved Digestive Health: The dietary fiber in blood oranges supports digestive health by promoting regular bowel movements and also by preventing constipation. Adequate fiber intake is essential for a healthy digestive system.
- Reduced Inflammation: The anti-inflammatory properties of blood oranges’ antioxidants may help reduce inflammation throughout the body. To explain, chronic inflammation is linked to various health issues, including cardiovascular disease and autoimmune conditions.
- Skin Health: Vitamin C is vital for collagen synthesis, which plays a crucial role in maintaining skin elasticity and preventing premature aging. Therefore, consuming blood orange juice may contribute to healthier skin.
- Improved Iron Absorption: Vitamin C enhances the absorption of non-heme iron (found in plant-based foods) in the body. To that end, drinking blood orange juice with iron-rich meals can support better iron absorption.
- Hydration: Like all fruit juices, blood orange juice contributes to overall hydration. To illustrate, staying well-hydrated is essential for various bodily functions, including temperature regulation, nutrient transport, and joint lubrication.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use bottled blood orange juice instead of fresh blood oranges? Do they make blood orange juice?
While fresh blood oranges are preferred for the best flavor, you can use bottled blood orange juice if fresh ones are unavailable. However, be sure to choose a high-quality, 100% pure juice without added sugars for optimal taste.
Can I substitute regular yogurt for nondairy yogurt?
Yes, you can substitute regular yogurt if nondairy options are not a preference or dietary requirement. Choose a plain yogurt to maintain the balance of flavors in the mocktail.
Is vanilla extract an acceptable substitute for vanilla bean paste?
Yes, vanilla extract can be used as a substitute for vanilla bean paste. Start with a smaller amount and adjust to taste, keeping in mind that vanilla extract is more concentrated than paste.
Are there any variations I can try for this blood orange mocktail?
Absolutely! You can experiment with different herbs (such as basil or thyme) or add a splash of other fruit juices for unique variations. Get creative and tailor the mocktail to your preferences.
How to Serve a Blood Orange Mocktail
- Garnish Creatively: Enhance the visual appeal by garnishing the mocktail. Consider using:
- Blood orange slices for a pop of color.
- Lemon twists for a citrusy aroma.
- A sprig of mint for a touch of freshness.
- Rim the Glass (Optional): For an extra touch, rim the glass with sugar or a sugar-salt mixture. Dip the rim in water, then in the sugar mixture, creating a contrasting and sweet edge.
- Serve Immediately: Blood orange mocktails are best enjoyed fresh. To this end, serve the mocktail immediately to preserve the sparkling water’s effervescence and present the drink at its best.
- Presentation: Use stylish glassware, such as highball or Collins glasses, to enhance the mocktail’s presentation. Consider matching the glassware to the theme or occasion.
- Pair with Appetizers: If serving during a gathering or event, consider pairing the blood orange mocktail with light appetizers or snacks that complement its flavors.
- Create a Mocktail Station (Optional): For larger gatherings, consider setting up a mocktail station with all the ingredients and garnishes. Further, guests can customize their mocktails according to their preferences.
If you make this recipe please tag @censoredbaker on Instagram!Print
Blood Orange Mocktail
Sweet, citrusy, creamy blood orange mocktail. Reminiscent of a creamsicle, this mocktail is so perfect you won’t even miss the alcohol!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 Mocktail 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Shake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
2 oz blood orange juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1 oz plain nondairy yogurt
1/2 oz simple syrup*
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
sparkling water to top
*Mocktails should be made to serve. Do not make mocktails in advance.
*Simple syrup can easily be made at home. Add 1/2 c sugar and 1/2 c water to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low whisking frequently until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into a sealable jar and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Keywords: mocktail recipe, blood orange drink, blood orange cocktail, healthy mocktail, blood orange mocktail recipe, blood orange margarita mocktail