Ben & Jerry’s is iconic for a reason: great, reliable flavors that everyone enjoys. To this end, Chunky Monkey holds a piece of my heart and I would find it difficult to believe that I was alone in that. Need a frozen treat you can enjoy year-round? These Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles are it. You can even call them “healthy-ish” if it makes you feel better.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Ingredients in Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles
For the Base
- Ripe Bananas: You want to use speckled bananas in this recipe. This indicates the bananas have begun to ripen and possess a more sweet flavor. That said, you don’t want to use banana bread-worthy bananas as these are a bit too mushy and your pops may not have enough integrity when freezing.
- Unsweetened, Nondairy Yogurt: Nondairy yogurts resemble typical dairy yogurts in almost every way. These yogurts contain live-active cultures, also known as probiotics. Be sure to purchase unsweetened non-dairy yogurts for baking so that you are able to control the sugar levels in your desserts.
- Pure Maple Syrup/Agave Syrup: Agave syrup is an alternative to sugar. The agave plant produces this sweetener. Pure maple syrup is made from maple tree sap that has been boiled down. It only has ONE ingredient. Consequently, pancake syrup should be avoided at all costs! It is made with corn syrup and artificial maple extract and also lacks the beautiful flavor of pure maple. Either agave or pure maple syrup will work in this recipe as a sweetener and healthier alternative to cane sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract is the most common extract in baked goods. It adds a beautiful dimension and flavor profile to our bakes (and freezes!). Vanilla chemically adds more flavor to desserts without covering up the other flavors you would still like to shine through.
- Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips: Dairy-free chocolate chips that allow you to bake allergy friendly snacks. Most popular brands have a dairy-free version in their arsenal. Most semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips are dairy-free but ALWAYS read the label to make sure. Dairy-free chocolate chips also contain delicious, high-quality chocolate. Non-dairy chips usually have fewer all around ingredients as well.
- Walnuts: Walnuts have a buttery, mild flavor and their slight crunch will give any dessert wonderful flavor and texture.
Steps for Making Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles
- Add bananas, non-dairy yogurt, non-dairy milk, maple/agave, and vanilla extract to a high speed blender. Blend until mixture is completely smooth.
- Grab your popsicle mold and alternate between sprinkling a small amount of the chocolate chips and walnuts into the mold and pouring in the banana base. This will also help ensure the the mix-ins do not sink straight to the bottom. Place the mold in the freezer for 8 hours.
- Once the popsicles are frozen, begin to make the chocolate drizzle. Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. Remove popsicles from the mold one by one and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the top. Place the baking sheet with the popsicles back in the freezer to set for an additional 15 minutes.
Tips for Making Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles
- Filling the molds: Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, leaving a little space at the top for expansion during freezing.
- Inserting sticks: Place popsicle sticks into the molds. Ensure they are centered and secure. When placing them, remember you want there to be enough stick to comfortably hold onto while you are eating.
- Un-molding: Once fully frozen, remove the popsicles from the molds by running warm water over the outside of the molds. Gently pull on the sticks to release the popsicles. If you are using a silicone popsicle mold this may not be necessary. The popsicles may just spring free.
- Enjoy: Indulge in your homemade Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles immediately, or store them in a freezer bag or container for later enjoyment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any other vegan-friendly mix-ins I can add to my Chunky Monkey popsicles?
Yes! In addition to the classic combination of bananas, chocolate, and nuts, you can experiment with other vegan-friendly mix-ins. Consider adding shredded coconut, chopped dates, crushed vegan cookies, or even a drizzle of peanut butter or almond butter.
How long do homemade popsicles take to freeze?
The freezing time for vegan Chunky Monkey popsicles is similar to regular popsicles. It typically takes around 4-6 hours for them to freeze completely. For the best results, you can leave them in the freezer 8 hours or overnight to ensure they are solid and ready to enjoy.
How do I prevent ice crystals from forming in my popsicles?
To minimize ice crystal formation, you can try a few techniques. First, make sure the mixture is well-blended before pouring it into the molds. This ensures even distribution of ingredients. Additionally, adding a small amount of sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave, can help reduce ice crystal formation. Lastly, covering the molds with plastic wrap or aluminum foil before inserting the popsicle sticks can also help.
Can I make popsicles without molds?
Yes, you can make popsicles without traditional molds. If you don’t have popsicle molds, you can use small paper cups or ice cube trays. Simply pour the mixture into the cups or ice cube compartments, cover them with aluminum foil, and insert popsicle sticks through the foil. Once frozen, gently remove the popsicles from the cups or trays.
How to Serve/Store Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles
Vegan Chunky Monkey popsicles are a delightful frozen treat. Here’s how you can serve them:
- Remove from the freezer: Take the vegan Chunky Monkey popsicles out of the freezer just before serving. Make sure they have been frozen long enough to be fully solid.
- Un-mold the popsicles: If you used popsicle molds, gently remove the popsicles from the molds. You can also run the molds under warm water for a few seconds to help release them. If you used paper cups or ice cube trays, carefully peel off the paper or aluminum foil.
- Optional garnishes: Consider adding some extra garnishes to enhance the presentation and flavors. For example, you can drizzle melted vegan chocolate or nut butter over the top of the popsicles, sprinkle chopped nuts or shredded coconut, or even add a few fresh banana slices.
- Serve on a platter or individually: Arrange the vegan Chunky Monkey popsicles on a platter or serve them individually on dessert plates. Make sure to also provide napkins or popsicle sticks for easy handling.
- Enjoy right away: Serve the popsicles immediately after removing them from the freezer to enjoy them at their frozen and creamy best. As I have said, they are perfect for hot summer days or as a sweet treat any time of the year.
Ensure that the popsicles are fully frozen before storing them to maintain their shape and texture. To clarify, wrap each popsicle individually in plastic wrap or insert them into separate freezer bags. This helps prevent them from sticking together and reduces the chances of freezer burn.
For the best taste and texture, try to consume the vegan Chunky Monkey popsicles within a few weeks of freezing. To illustrate, over time ice crystals may form, affecting the quality of the popsicles.
Please remember if you make this recipe to snap a pic and share with @censoredbaker on instagram!Print
Vegan Chunky Monkey Popsicles
If you love Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey then you will absolutely adore it in popsicle form. This healthy-ish recipe will allow you to eat two (or three!) pops without feeling too guilty!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10–15 popsicles depending on mold size 1x
- Category: Frozen Desserts
- Cuisine: American
4 ripe bananas
2 c non-dairy yogurt, unsweetened
1/2 c non-dairy milk
3 tbsp pure maple or agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c non-dairy chocolate chips, separated
1/4 c chopped walnuts
- Blend: Add bananas, non-dairy yogurt, non-dairy milk, maple/agave, and vanilla extract to a high speed blender. Blend until mixture is completely smooth.
- Fill the Molds: Set aside 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips to add to your popsicle mold. To make sure the walnuts and chocolate chips do not sink to the bottom of the molds, alternate between sprinkling in a small amount to each mold and pouring in a little of the banana mixture. Continue alternating between the two until all molds are filled and you run out of chocolate and walnuts.
- Freeze + Garnish: Carefully place your popsicle mold in a level area in your freezer. Leave to set 8 hours or overnight. Once popsicles are frozen, take remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate and melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely smooth. Remove popsicles from the mold and drizzle with melted chocolate. Store in an airtight container in your freezer.
*Popsicles will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for about a week.
Keywords: Chunky Monkey, Vegan Chunky Monkey, Banana Popsicles, Chocolate Banana Popsicles, Vegan Popsicles, Vegan Banana Popsicles