Welcome to a world of vibrant and nostalgic delight! In this post, we embark on a culinary adventure to create a treat that embodies joy and celebration – Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes. Bursting with colors and flavors, these fluffy little cakes are not only a treat for the taste buds but also a trip down memory lane. So, grab your apron and let’s start crafting these enchanting cupcakes that are sure to bring smiles to faces young and old alike!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Ingredients for Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour serves as the foundational structure of the cupcakes, providing the necessary gluten to create a tender and fluffy texture. It acts as a binding agent, holding the other ingredients together while ensuring a soft and consistent crumb in the cupcakes.
- Sugar: Sugar is essential for sweetening the cupcakes and adding that irresistible touch of sweetness that balances the flavors. It also plays a role in tenderizing the cupcakes and contributes to the overall moistness.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is a leavening agent crucial for making the cupcakes rise. When combined with moisture and heat, it releases carbon dioxide gas, causing the cupcakes to puff up and become light and airy.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is another leavening agent that works in conjunction with the acid (in this recipe, the nondairy yogurt) to help the cupcakes rise even further, resulting in a beautifully fluffy texture.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt enhances the flavors in the cupcakes, bringing out the sweetness and complementing the other ingredients. It helps balance the overall taste and prevents the cupcakes from being overly bland.
- Multicolored Vegan Sprinkles: The multicolored vegan sprinkles are what give the cupcakes their iconic “Funfetti” look, infusing them with a sense of celebration and joy. They also add a delightful crunchy texture to each bite, making the cupcakes even more enjoyable.
- Nondairy Yogurt: Nondairy yogurt acts as a binding agent and provides moisture to the cupcakes while also contributing to their tender texture. It adds a tangy flavor that enhances the overall taste profile of the cupcakes. Unsweetened and unflavored works best.
- Nondairy Milk: Nondairy milk is the liquid component that keeps the batter moist and smooth. It helps create a consistent texture and replaces traditional dairy milk to keep the recipe vegan-friendly.
- Canola Oil: Canola oil serves as the fat source in the recipe, adding richness and moisture to the cupcakes. It helps maintain the cupcakes’ tenderness and ensures they stay moist and delicious.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract imparts a warm and inviting flavor to the cupcakes, enhancing the sweetness and adding a delightful aroma. It’s a crucial ingredient that brings all the flavors together and complements the sprinkles beautifully.
Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- Non-Hydrogenated Shortening: Non-hydrogenated shortening is the base of the frosting, providing a smooth and creamy texture. It is a plant-based alternative to butter and ensures the frosting remains stable and holds its shape.
- Vegan Butter: Vegan butter contributes a rich flavor to the frosting and complements the shortening. It adds a subtle saltiness that enhances the overall taste.
- Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar sweetens the frosting and thickens it to achieve the perfect piping consistency. It creates a velvety smoothness that makes the cupcakes look visually appealing.
- Sea Salt: Similar to the pinch of sea salt in the cupcakes, this ingredient balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor of the frosting.
- Nondairy Milk: Nondairy milk in the frosting helps achieve the desired creamy consistency. It also helps bind the ingredients together while keeping the frosting smooth and spreadable.
- Vanilla Extract: The vanilla extract in the frosting complements the cupcakes’ flavor and adds an irresistible aroma, making the frosting taste as good as it looks.
Steps for Making Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes (with pictures!)
- Begin by combining all of the dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sprinkles in a large bowl. Make sure all of the ingredients are well-distributed.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the nondairy yogurt, nondairy milk, canola oil and vanilla. Continue to mix until the yogurt is completely smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix until the Funfetti batter just comes together. Do not over-mix as this will compromise your final results.
- Bake! Distribute the cake batter evenly between 12 cupcake molds in a traditionally-sized cupcake pan. Bake on center rack of preheated oven (350 F) for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with only a few crumbs clinging to it. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Tips for Making Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- Choose High-Quality Vegan Ingredients: Opt for high-quality vegan alternatives like non-dairy milk (almond, soy, oat, etc.), non-hydrogenated vegan butter or margarine, and non-hydrogenated shortening. Using good quality ingredients will enhance the overall taste and texture of the cupcakes.
- Measure Ingredients Precisely: Accurate measurements are crucial in baking. Use measuring cups and spoons to ensure you add the right amount of each ingredient. Too much or too little of certain ingredients can affect the cupcakes’ texture and flavor.
- Don’t Over-mix the Batter: Mix the batter until just combined. Over-mixing can lead to dense and tough cupcakes. A few lumps in the batter are perfectly fine; they will disappear during baking.
- Preheat the Oven and Don’t Peak: Make sure to preheat your oven before baking. A properly preheated oven ensures even baking and helps the cupcakes rise properly. Also, do not peak at your cupcakes throughout the baking process! Every time you open the oven door great fluctuations in temperature take place which negatively impacts the rise of your cupcakes.
- Fill Cupcake Liners Properly: Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full. Overfilling may cause the cupcakes to rise unevenly or overflow during baking.
- Experiment with Frosting Designs: Have fun decorating your funfetti cupcakes with the vegan buttercream frosting. You can use a piping bag with various piping tips to create different designs or simply spread the frosting with a knife.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a vegan cupcake and a regular cupcake?
the main difference between a vegan cupcake and a regular cupcake lies in the ingredients used to create them. Vegan cupcakes are entirely plant-based, avoiding any animal-derived ingredients, while regular cupcakes typically rely on eggs, dairy milk, and butter for their structure, flavor, and texture. With the growing popularity of plant-based diets, vegan cupcakes have become a delicious and inclusive option for everyone to enjoy, regardless of dietary preferences.
What is a Funfetti Cupcake?
A Funfetti cupcake is a type of celebratory cupcake that is known for its colorful and festive appearance. It is essentially a vanilla cupcake that is studded with bright and multicolored sprinkles, which are often referred to as “Funfetti” sprinkles. The term “Funfetti” is actually a trademarked name by the Pillsbury Company in the United States, but it has become a generic term to describe any baked goods or desserts with these colorful sprinkles.
The word “Funfetti” itself is a combination of “fun” and “confetti,” and that’s exactly what these cupcakes are all about – fun and celebration! The colorful sprinkles add a playful touch to the classic vanilla cupcake, making it a popular choice for birthdays, parties, and special occasions.
The cupcakes are usually topped with a sweet and creamy frosting, often buttercream frosting, and more sprinkles are often added on top to enhance the festive look. Funfetti cupcakes are enjoyed by people of all ages, and they never fail to bring smiles to faces with their vibrant appearance and delightful taste.
Can I use any sprinkles for vegan funfetti cupcakes?
Not all sprinkles are vegan-friendly, as some may contain animal-derived ingredients or artificial colorings that are not suitable for vegans. Look for specifically labeled “vegan” or “plant-based” sprinkles, which are made without animal products.
Can I replace the nondairy yogurt in the recipe?
Yes, you can substitute nondairy yogurt with other ingredients like applesauce, mashed bananas, or vegan sour cream to provide moisture and a binding agent for the cupcakes. However, keep in mind that each substitution may slightly alter the texture and flavor of the cupcakes.
Can I make gluten-free vegan funfetti cupcakes?
Yes, you can make gluten-free vegan funfetti cupcakes by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. Ensure that the sprinkles and other ingredients are also gluten-free to maintain the cupcakes’ entirely gluten-free status. Xanthan gum may need to be added depending on the gluten-free flour blend you choose so be sure to do some research.
How can I prevent my vegan funfetti cupcakes from becoming dense?
To prevent dense cupcakes, avoid overmixing the batter, as it can lead to excessive gluten development. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Also, be sure to use fresh leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda, as expired ones may affect the cupcakes’ rise.
Can I make vegan funfetti cupcakes in advance?
Yes, you can make vegan funfetti cupcakes in advance. Once cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. If you want to store them for longer, freeze them (unfrosted) for up to 2-3 months, thawing them before frosting and serving.
How to Serve/Store Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
Serving vegan funfetti cupcakes is a delightful experience that adds a touch of celebration and joy to any occasion. Here are some tips on how to serve these colorful and scrumptious treats:
- Presentation: Arrange the cupcakes on a beautiful serving platter or cupcake stand. Consider adding some extra sprinkles on top of the frosting for a more festive look.
- Customization: Set up a DIY cupcake station where guests can add their choice of toppings, such as additional sprinkles, chocolate chips, or fruit, allowing them to create personalized cupcakes.
- Accompanying Treats: Consider serving the cupcakes alongside other vegan desserts like cookies, brownies, or fruit tarts, providing guests with an assortment of sweet options.
- Celebrate Special Occasions: Since funfetti cupcakes are often associated with celebrations, use them as a centerpiece for birthday parties, baby showers, or any festive gathering.
- Serve with Ice Cream: For an extra indulgent treat, serve the cupcakes with a scoop of vegan ice cream. The combination of warm cupcakes and cold ice cream is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Whether it’s a birthday party, a casual get-together, or just a sweet craving, serving vegan funfetti cupcakes is a surefire way to spread happiness and make any event a memorable and enjoyable one!
Place the cupcakes in an airtight container to protect them from drying out and absorbing odors from the surroundings. A cupcake carrier or a plastic or glass container with a tight-fitting lid works well. If you plan to consume the cupcakes within 1-2 days, they can be kept at room temperature. Ensure they are stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen to prolong their shelf life. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bags. Frozen cupcakes can be stored for up to a month. When ready to eat, thaw frozen cupcakes by placing them in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours. Bring them to room temperature before frosting and serving.
Remember that vegan cupcakes may have slightly different textures than traditional cupcakes. As such, proper storage is crucial to maintain their moistness and flavor. Following these storage tips will ensure that your vegan funfetti cupcakes remain delicious and enjoyable for as long as possible.
If you make this recipe, please tag @censoredbaker on Instagram!Print
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
Indulge in the delightful sweetness of these Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes! Bursting with colorful sprinkles that add a touch of whimsy, these cupcakes are moist, fluffy, and absolutely scrumptious. Perfect for birthdays, celebrations, or simply treating yourself, this recipe is sure to become a favorite among children and nostalgic millennials alike.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Bake Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 Cupcakes 1x
- Category: Cakes and Cupcakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
F0r the Cupcakes
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 c multicolored vegan sprinkles (plus extra for sprinkling)
1/2 c nondairy yogurt
1/2 c nondairy milk
1/2 c canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting
1/4 c vegan butter
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp nondairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Make the Batter: In a large bowl whisk together all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and sprinkles. In a separate small bowl whisk together nondairy yogurt, nondairy milk, oil and vanilla extract. Poor wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Bake: Poor batter into prepared cupcake pan, filling liners about 2/3 of the way full. Bake on center rack of oven for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean with only a few crumbs clinging to it. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the Frosting: While cupcakes are cooling, combine non-hydrogenated shortening and vegan butter in a large mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat on a low to medium setting until well-combined. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating after each addition. Do this at a lower setting so the powdered sugar doesn’t fly out of the bowl. Add salt, nondairy milk and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat on medium until there are no more clumps of sugar.
- Assemble: Frost cupcakes using a knife, offset spatula or a piping bag and piping tips. Decorate with additional sprinkles if desired. Serve.
*Cupcakes will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Keywords: funfetti cupcakes, vegan confetti cupcakes, vegan cupcakes, vegan sprinkles, easy vegan cupcakes