Pillowy, soft lemon sugar cookies loaded up with nondairy white chocolate chips!? These Vegan Lemon White Chocolate Cookies are absolutely to die for! If you like a cookie that manages to be both soft and chewy, these are for you. They are also for you if you like a punch of citrus in your desserts. Light, fresh and perfect for spring and summer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Ingredients in Vegan Lemon White Chocolate Cookies
- Vegan Butter: Vegan butter is a simple alternative to dairy butter. Non-dairy butter is made up of different vegetable oils and is solid at room temperature. The flavors are nearly identical to normal butter and you should be able to find it next to the regular butter at the grocery store.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is great for baking because the bond that it forms with water/liquid has a moisture-locking effect. This will give our cookies incredible texture and moistness. While we will be relying on the sugar for sweetness, it will also make the lemon flavor pop!
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is a leavener that requires an acidic and liquid ingredient to activate. In this recipe, the leavener will help the cookie dough base rise and firm up as it bakes.
- Sea Salt: Salt is a known flavor enhancer and cookies are no exception. This is especially true where flour and butter are concerned. In addition to amplifying flavor, salt works to strengthen the dough and provide texture.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract is the most common extract in baked goods. It will chemically add more flavor to the cookies without covering up the lemon flavor we want to shine through.
Cookie Ingredients Continued
- Lemon Zest: Using citrus zest in recipes is a great way to strengthen the flavor of whatever kind of fruit you are using. When you add zest to a recipe, you are including the natural oils that exist within the fruit straight into your dessert without having to turn to artificial flavoring. The zest will provide most of the lemon flavor to our cookies.
- Lemon Juice: While most of our lemon flavor will be coming from the lemon zest, the addition of juice will help smooth out our batter and give the cookies a slight sour zing. This will help counterbalance the sweetness.
- All Purpose Flour: No need for any fancy or expensive flour here! All purpose is great for cookie baking because it makes for both a light and sturdy cookie. Good chewiness too!
- Nondairy White Chocolate Chips: This one is a little bit tricky. While these chips are simply white chocolate chips without the dairy, they can be tough to find in the wild. When I know I’m going to need them I will typically order a couple bags of the King David brand from Amazon.
Vegan Lemon White Chocolate Cookie Tips
- If you would like to get ahead, prepare the cookie dough the day before you plan on using it. Allow it to sit in an airtight container or covered bowl in the refrigerator overnight (or up to 48 hours) and bake when you are ready to serve. You can even freeze the dough for up to 1 month!
- Nondairy white chocolate chips can be difficult to find in grocery stores. If you are unable to locate them at your local haunt you can order them online. I like the King David brand from Amazon.
- If you would prefer your lemon flavor to be a bit more subtle, use 2 tbsp of zest instead of 3 as written in the recipe.
Tips for Baking Vegan Cookies
- Be very careful with ingredient swaps! Vegan baking is even more finicky than regular baking and it is near impossible to swap ingredients in and out seamlessly. Please keep in mind that this requires a lot of trial and error. Do not do it on a whim!
- Don’t over-beat your cookie dough! Once the dry ingredients have been introduced to the wet, the dough becomes somewhat more fragile. Overworking your cookie dough with the electric mixer could result in very tough cookies.
- Chill your dough before baking! I know this is an annoying step but it’s SUPER important. Chilling ensures your cookies will maintain their integrity during and after the baking process resulting in a cookie with the perfect level of chewiness. If you fail to chill your dough the cookies will spread out while baking leaving you with a thin, crispy cookie.
Please remember if you make this recipe to snap a pic and share with @censoredbaker on instagram!Print
Vegan Lemon White Chocolate Cookies
Pillowy lemon sugar cookies full of white chocolate chunks. 100% vegan and completely indulgent.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Bake Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 3-inch Cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
1 c vegan butter
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c nondairy white chocolate chips
- Prepare Cookie Dough: Add vegan butter and sugar to a large bowl and cream together using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add baking soda, salt, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice to the bowl and beat together with mixer until well-combined. Add all purpose flour to the bowl and continue beating with mixer until all flour is incorporated. Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Chill: Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to firm up for at least 30 minutes. While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake: Remove bowl from fridge and place 2 tbsp balls of dough about 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake cookies in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month.
**If you prefer a more subtle lemon flavor, use 2 tbsp of zest instead of 3.
Keywords: vegan lemon cookies, vegan white chocolate, vegan cookies, lemon cookies, lemon sugar cookies, white chocolate chip cookies