Welcome to a realm of pure dessert enchantment! If you’re on the lookout for a sinfully delicious frozen treat that’s entirely plant-based, you’ve landed in the right place. This luscious concoction brings together the classic charm of rocky road ice cream with the goodness of a vegan lifestyle. Get ready to savor every spoonful of creamy coconut bliss, decadent chocolate chunks, fluffy marshmallows, and crunchy nuts – all in one delightful bowl. Let’s learn how to make Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream Ingredients
Ice Cream Base
- Nondairy Milk: Nondairy milk serves as the liquid base for the ice cream, providing the necessary creaminess and texture. It also helps to achieve the smooth consistency of traditional ice cream without using any animal-derived milk.
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder is the key ingredient that brings the rich and intense chocolate flavor to the vegan rocky road ice cream. It adds depth and darkness to the dessert.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk: Full-fat coconut milk is the star of this vegan ice cream, providing the luxurious and creamy base. The high-fat content contributes to the velvety texture, ensuring a delightful mouthfeel.
- Agave Nectar: Agave nectar acts as the natural sweetener in this recipe, enhancing the ice cream’s overall sweetness without using refined sugars.
- Canola Oil: Canola oil helps in achieving a smooth and scoopable texture for the ice cream. It prevents the formation of large ice crystals and gives the dessert a desirable consistency, even when stored in the freezer.
- Kahlúa: Kahlúa, a coffee-flavored liqueur, adds a subtle depth and complexity to the vegan rocky road ice cream. As alcohol doesn’t freeze, the Kahlúa also contributes to the ice cream’s scoopability and aids in the prevention of freezer burn.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract infuses the ice cream with a warm and aromatic flavor, complementing the chocolate and other ingredients. It rounds out the taste and elevates the overall dessert experience.
- Guar Gum: Guar gum acts as a natural stabilizer and thickening agent, ensuring a smooth and creamy consistency in the ice cream. It helps prevent the formation of ice crystals and enhances the texture.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients, particularly the chocolate, by balancing and intensifying the taste. It elevates the overall taste profile and prevents the ice cream from being overly sweet.
- Vegan Mini Marshmallows: Vegan mini marshmallows add a delightful chewy and pillowy texture to the ice cream, reminiscent of the classic rocky road flavor. Surprisingly, traditional marshmallows are not vegan as they contain gelatin which is an animal-derived ingredient.
- Roasted and Salted Almonds: Roasted and salted almonds provide a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to the ice cream, transforming it into a true rocky road experience. They add depth and a satisfying texture that complements the creaminess of the base.
- Dark Chocolate: Chopped dark chocolate brings bursts of intense cocoa flavor to the ice cream, providing chocolatey goodness in every bite. It also adds extra texture and richness to the dessert, making it more indulgent.
Steps for Making Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream (with pictures!)
- Begin by preparing the ice cream base. Blend together all of the ice cream ingredients (sans mix-ins) and transfer mixture to a sealable container. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Churn the ice cream. Pour the chilled ice cream into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. This is usually somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes. Continue until ice cream is the consistency of thick soft serve.
- Add mix-ins. Stir marshmallows, almonds and dark chocolate into the churned ice cream. Transfer mixture to a sealable container and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure to have the plastic wrap touch the ice cream. Put the lid on the container and place in the freezer to chill for at least 6-8 hours.
- Enjoy! Once ice cream is firm and frozen it is ready to serve. Scoop out with an ice cream scoop and serve in a bowl or on an ice cream cone.
Tips for Making Homemade Vegan Ice Cream
- Use Full-Fat Coconut Milk: Opt for full-fat canned coconut milk as it provides a rich and creamy base for the ice cream. The high-fat content is crucial for achieving a smooth texture without the need for dairy.
- Choose Quality Cocoa Powder: Select a high-quality cocoa powder for a deep and intense chocolate flavor. This will make a significant difference in the taste of your ice cream.
- Sweetener Options: While agave nectar is used in the recipe, you can also experiment with other vegan sweeteners like maple syrup. Adjust the sweetness according to your preference.
- Freeze Properly: Once you’ve added the mix-ins, transfer the ice cream into a freezer-safe container and cover it with parchment paper or plastic wrap to prevent ice crystals from forming. Seal the container tightly with a lid.
- Enjoy Freshly Made: Homemade ice cream is best enjoyed freshly churned or within a few days after freezing. Unlike store-bought ice cream, it lacks preservatives and may develop ice crystals over time.
With these tips, you’re well-equipped to create a fantastic batch of vegan rocky road ice cream. Enjoy the process and savor the creamy, chocolatey goodness of your homemade creation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rocky Road ice cream made of?
Rocky road ice cream is a classic American dessert that typically consists of the following key ingredients:
- Ice Cream Base: The base of a dairy-free rocky road ice cream is usually made from a combination of coconut milk, nondairy milk, sugar, and stabilizers. This creates a creamy and rich foundation for the dessert.
- Chocolate: Cocoa powder or melted chocolate is added to the ice cream base to infuse it with a delicious chocolate flavor.
- Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows are a defining feature of rocky road ice cream. They add a chewy and fluffy texture to the dessert.
- Nuts: Roasted and chopped nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans, are another essential element. They provide a delightful crunch and a nutty flavor that complements the sweetness of the ice cream.
These are the core ingredients that make up the classic rocky road ice cream. However, there can be variations and additional ingredients, depending on the specific recipe or personal preferences. Some recipes may include additional mix-ins like chocolate chips, cookie pieces, or even a splash of rum or liqueur for added depth of flavor.
Can I use other plant-based milk instead of coconut milk?
Yes, you can experiment with other plant-based milks like cashew milk or almond milk, but keep in mind that the creaminess might vary. Coconut milk is preferred for its richness and creaminess. With that said, other plant-based milks can also yield satisfying results.
How do I prevent ice crystals from forming in my homemade vegan ice cream?
To prevent ice crystals, you can add a small amount of guar gum, a natural stabilizer, to the ice cream mixture. Churning the mixture properly with an ice cream maker also helps incorporate air and prevents large ice crystal formation.
Can I use different mix-ins in my vegan rocky road ice cream?
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative with your mix-ins. To illustrate, you can add vegan chocolate chips, crushed cookies, or other nuts like walnuts or pecans. Be sure to fold in the mix-ins after churning the ice cream to distribute them evenly.
Why is it called Rocky Road ice cream?
The name “Rocky Road” for this popular ice cream flavor has an interesting origin. It is believed to have been created during the Great Depression in the United States. The name was chosen to reflect the difficult times people were facing during that era.
Here’s how the story goes:
- Great Depression Context: The Great Depression was a severe economic downturn that lasted from 1929 to the late 1930s. During this period, many Americans were struggling with financial hardships, unemployment, and poverty.
- Innovation by Ice Cream Makers: Despite the challenging times, ice cream makers and confectioners were still finding ways to create new and enticing flavors to lift people’s spirits. One such flavor was a combination of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts. This became known as “Rocky Road.”
- Choosing the Name: The name “Rocky Road” was chosen to reflect the rocky and rough times people were going through. The addition of nuts and marshmallows to chocolate ice cream symbolized the various bumps, obstacles, and challenges that people had to face during the Great Depression.
- Selling Point: The name “Rocky Road” also served as a marketing tactic. Ice cream shops and manufacturers hoped that the playful and catchy name would attract customers, offering a moment of joy and escape from the difficulties of everyday life.
Since then, Rocky Road ice cream has become a beloved classic, enduring the test of time. Its delightful combination of creamy chocolate, fluffy marshmallows, and crunchy nuts continues to be a favorite ice cream flavor for many, providing a comforting treat and a reminder of both the sweet and challenging moments in life.
How to Serve/Store Vegan Ice Cream
Serving vegan rocky road ice cream is a delightful experience. With a few thoughtful touches, it can become even more special. Here’s how to serve and enjoy this delectable frozen treat:
- Scoop into Bowls or Cones: Use an ice cream scoop to portion the vegan rocky road ice cream into bowls or vegan-friendly ice cream cones. Make sure to scoop out a generous serving to enjoy all the delicious mix-ins.
- Garnish with Extras: For an extra touch of indulgence, consider garnishing the ice cream with a drizzle of vegan chocolate syrup or a sprinkle of crushed nuts or coconut flakes. This undeniably adds visual appeal and extra flavor to the already delightful dessert.
- Serve with Fresh Fruit: For a burst of freshness and a pop of color, serve the vegan rocky road ice cream with slices of fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, or banana. The combination of creamy ice cream and juicy fruit creates a particularly delightful contrast.
- Create a Sundae: Turn your vegan rocky road ice cream into a sundae by adding vegan whipped cream, crushed cookies, and a maraschino cherry on top. This further transforms the dessert into an indulgent and Instagram-worthy treat.
- Pair with Cookies or Brownies: Serve the vegan rocky road ice cream alongside vegan cookies or brownies. The combination of the cold, creamy ice cream with warm, freshly baked treats is sure to be a hit.
- Make an Ice Cream Sandwich: Sandwich the vegan rocky road ice cream between two vegan chocolate cookies to create a delicious ice cream sandwich. It’s certainly a fun and convenient way to enjoy this delectable dessert.
Properly storing homemade vegan rocky road ice cream is crucial to maintaining its flavor, texture, and overall quality. After churning and adding mix-ins, transfer the vegan rocky road ice cream into a lidded, airtight container. A container with a tight-fitting lid helps prevent air from getting in and keeps the ice cream from absorbing odors or developing freezer burn.
Before sealing the container with the lid, press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream. This creates a barrier that reduces the contact with air, preventing ice crystals from forming. Also store the container of vegan rocky road ice cream in the coldest part of your freezer, usually the back or bottom shelf. Avoid placing it in the freezer door, as this area is subject to temperature fluctuations every time you open the freezer.
Try to avoid repeatedly thawing and refreezing the ice cream, as this can lead to the formation of ice crystals and negatively affect the texture. Homemade vegan ice cream lacks preservatives. Therefore, it should be eaten within 1-2 weeks. Over time, the quality may degrade, and the ice cream might become icier and lose its creaminess.
If you make this recipe, please tag @censoredbaker on Instagram!Print
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream
Indulge in the delightful and decadent world of vegan indulgence with this scrumptious Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream. Packed with the perfect blend of creamy texture, rich chocolate, crunchy nuts, and fluffy marshmallows, this frozen treat is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 Pint 1x
- Category: Frozen Desserts
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
1/2 c nondairy milk
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
1/2 c agave nectar
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp Kahlúa
1 tsp vanila extract
1/4 tsp guar gum
pinch of salt
1/2 c vegan mini marshmallows
1/3 c roasted and salted almonds, chopped
1/3 c dark chocolate, chopped
- Preparing the Ice Cream Base: In a small bowl, whisk together the nondairy milk and cocoa powder until they are well combined and the cocoa powder is fully dissolved. In a blender, combine the full-fat coconut milk, agave nectar, canola oil, Kahlúa, vanilla extract, guar gum and salt. Add the cocoa mixture to a blender or food processor and blend everything together until you have a smooth and creamy ice cream base. Transfer mixture to a sealable container and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Churning the Ice Cream: Pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This usually takes around 20-25 minutes until the ice cream reaches a soft-serve consistency. Please keep in mind that some models require you to freeze the bowl of the machine for 8 hours prior to use. Read your ice cream maker’s instructions carefully.
- Adding the Mix-Ins: Once the ice cream is done churning, transfer it to a lidded, freezer-safe container. Gently fold in the vegan mini marshmallows, chopped almonds, and chopped dark chocolate. Make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the ice cream.
- Freezing the Ice Cream: Smooth the top of the ice cream with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Spread a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the ice cream. Press down so that the plastic is actually touching it. Place the lid on the container and freeze the ice cream for at least 6-8 hours, or until it is firm and scoopable. Scoop the vegan Rocky Road ice cream into bowls or cones. You can garnish the ice cream with additional vegan mini marshmallows, chopped almonds, or melted chocolate if desired. Serve immediately.
*Prepared ice cream will keep in a tightly-sealed container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: vegan ice cream, rocky road ice cream, homemade ice cream recipe, dairy-free ice cream, vegan chocolate ice cream